Prior to visiting a family law specialist you should prepare a list of the questions that you need to have answered. This will ensure important things are not missed.
At Calvin Nelson we will ask for basic information at your initial appointment and it is our objective during this time to answer your pressing questions.
To ensure a successful initial discussion you should prepare for the first interview with your family law specialist. The following is a checklist that will assist you:
- The dates that your relationship began, married, and separated.
- A list of your assets, liabilities, superannuation and any other financial resources.
- Your income.
- Your partner’s income.
- Assets, liabilities or superannuation you each had when you first began to live together.
- Details of inheritances, gifts, compensation and or redundancy payments.
- Details as to how inheritances, gifts, compensation and or redundancy payments were spent.
There is no need to provide bundles of documents. Simply attend with points of information and your list of questions.
If you have parenting issues your information about your children should include:
- Where the children are living, and with whom.
- The time you spend with them.
- Any special needs/health.
- Ages- dates of birth.
- Routines- extracurricular activities.
- Child support being received and or provided.
- Your future parenting plans